Thursday, December 30, 2010
Harry Truman was a different kind of President. He
Probably made as many, or more important
Decisions regarding our nation's history as
Any of the other 42 Presidents preceding him.
However, a measure of his greatness may rest on
What he did after he left the White House.
The only asset he had when he died
Was the house he lived in, which was
In Independence Missouri .
His wife had inherited the house from her
Mother and father and other than their
Years in the White House, they lived their
Entire lives there.
When he retired
From office in 1952, his income was
A U.S. Army pension reported to have
Been $13,507.72 a year. Congress, noting
That he was paying for his stamps and personally
Licking them, granted him an 'allowance'
And, later, a retroactive pension of
$25,000 per year.
After President Eisenhower
Was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home
To Missouri by themselves. There
Was no Secret Service following them.
When offered corporate
Positions at large salaries, he declined,
Stating, "You don't want me. You want the
Office of the President, and that doesn't
Belong to me. It belongs to the American
People and it's not for sale."
Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was
Preparing to award him the Medal of Honor
On his 87th birthday, he refused to accept
It, writing, "I don't consider that I have
Done anything which should be the reason
For any award, Congressional or otherwise."
As president he paid for all of his own
Travel expenses and food.
Modern politicians have found a new
Level of success in cashing in on the
Presidency, resulting in untold wealth.
Today, many in Congress also have found a way
To become quite wealthy while enjoying the
Fruits of their offices. Political offices
Are now for sale.
Good old Harry Truman was correct
When he observed, "My choices in life were
Either to be a piano player in a whore house
Or a politician And to tell the truth,
there's hardly any difference!
I say dig him up and clone him!!
Buy More Books
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
1. AVOID CUTTING YOURSELF WHEN SLICING VEGETABLES BY GETTING SOMEONE ELSE TO HOLD THE VEGETABLES WHILE YOU CHOP.
2. AVOID ARGUMENTS WITH THE FEMALES ABOUT LIFTING THE TOILET SEAT BY USING THE SINK.
3. FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SUFFERERS ~ SIMPLY CUT YOURSELF AND BLEED FOR A FEW MINUTES, THUS REDUCING THE PRESSURE ON YOUR VEINS. REMEMBER TO USE A TIMER.
4. A MOUSE TRAP PLACED ON TOP OF YOUR ALARM CLOCK WILL PREVENT YOU FROM ROLLING OVER AND GOING BACK TO SLEEP AFTER YOU HIT THE SNOOZE BUTTON.
5. IF YOU HAVE A BAD COUGH, TAKE A LARGE DOSE OF LAXATIVES. THEN YOU'LL BE AFRAID TO COUGH.
6. YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE=. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.
7. IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
DAILY THOUGHT:SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Buy More Books
Happy New Year