Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Book Signings Last Weekend

No good deed goes unpunished!!! The morning book signing in Robinson went well in the nice air conditioned Heath Toffee Museum on the square in Robinson. The turnout was was good despite the 95 degree heat.

The Palestine Wabash Valley Wine and Art Festival's signings on Saturday and Sunday afternoons were a different story. Late in the week I learned that there were not enough food vendors for the event. Being a good standing member of the Palestine Development Association, I volunteered myself and a friend to cook kabobs to make up for the potential shortage of food. I didn't foresee any problem about signing books and cooking meatballs at the same time. Wrong!!! I doubt that you will ever see John Grisham flipping burgers while talking plot twists at one of his signings. Needless to say, a record setting heatwave, added by the heat of the grill Teriyaki sauce, perspiration and an open wine bottle probably didn't make a good impression for the serious literary hounds looking to meet the author. One lady stormed away mad, convinced that I was a carnival huckster posing as the writer. Live and Learn! One fellow, however saw the fun in my situation and insisted that I make a Bar-B-Que sauce thumbprint in lieu of my signature.

Til next time Buy more Books

No comments: