Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Remembering J.D.


J.D. Kelsheimer (May 4, 1962- July 14 2008)

It's hard to believe my little brother isn't around to get me in trouble anymore. The last conversation I had with him was a little over a month ago and he talked about going on an adventure together. He didn't care about the "whys" and "hows". It was just another memory for the scrapbook in his mind. That was the kind of reasoning that got us both grounded for most of our adolescence. Even though it was usually his idea, I usually got stuck holding the bag because I was the oldest and should have known better. The only time I got the better of him was when I talked him into jumping off of the roof while I did a drum roll. (Just like they do at the circus.) He ended up in a cast with a broken foot and I had to wait on him all summer long.
There wasn't a pond, creek, or mud hole within three miles of our home that we didn't sample at least once. We'd come home covered in mud, leaches, and cockle burrs, but we didn't care. Everything was an adventure. We fought like cats and dogs and then made up to look for more trouble. We raced and wrecked bikes, go karts and motorcycles by the score and caught fish by the hundreds. We played baseball, basketball, and football for hours until it finally became too dark to see. We pretended that I was Tom Sawyer and he was Huck Finn. I'll miss my partner in crime.

J.D. lived his life as one big adventure... we should all do the same.

Godspeed little brother

Rick

2 comments:

AnnaLu22 said...

Oh Ricky! Thanks for sharing! I remember hearing the story about that circus stunt. Is that the cast J.D. had when he dropped the beans down it and started growing a plant? You had such an awesome childhood. Can you write a book about it sometime? You could write a whole chapter on "How to drive your truck to the pond and not get stuck in the mud" (I'll work on that title) Remember how we used to stand around looking at those huge puddles and trying to figure at which angle would be best to go at it? I digress. We'll talk more next week. I miss you, much love, Anna Lu

Sherrie said...

Hi Rick,
You made the tears flow again this morning.You must have the most tales to tell, than anyone, about our J.D.., but Anna Lu is close. What was fun to you kids were nightmares to the parents!:) What memories you have to always remember your brother by. Your talent as a writer sure show up in this tribute to J.D.. See you soon.
Love,Aunt Sharon