Sunday, September 27, 2009

Damn Bears

Even though the Bears beat the Seahawks today, I don't know if it's worth the aggravation of sitting on my couch and and biting my fingernails as my beloved team tries to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on a weekly basis.

I found this old poem that I wrote several years ago that described the the foolishness and optimism of my youth.

Some things never change


Damn Bears


Nip of fall and the smell of persimmonis in the air.

October anticipation mixed with grade school optimism.

Dad's finished his chores early today,

because it's almost kickoff time.

The Bears are in Green Bay.

I've got the good seat on the sofa until Dad kicks me off

to join my brothers on the floor.

"Go baby go!" yells Dad, when Gayle Sayers gets the ball.

"Hit him again!" he yells when Butkus makes a play.

He's so excited now he has to run to the fridge for a beer.

I consider claiming my spot on the sofa, but think better of the idea when I see Dad's look of disapproval.

The game is close at half-time;

only down by seven.

Mom serves her contribution for the day.

The half-time feast.

Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and glazed carrots.

She made the carrots for me; they're my favorite.

But it's "Eat fast boys! The second half is ready to begin."

It's a good day so far.

But then

we fumble...

then punt...

then fumble again.

A dark cloud settles over the household.

I can tell Dad's had enough.

"Damn Bears" he mumbles to himself as he goes back to his tractor.

My brothers lose interest and go back to fighting each other.

Traitors!

I know it's not over as I take my rightful spot on the sofa.

If we can score quickly...

recover the onside kick...

and score again...

we would only need a field goal for the tie.

But things don't go as planed.

Time runs out and the referee shoots his gun.

Green Bay 31 Chicago 14

I sit in solitude and disgust.

Thinking...

Damn Bears...

Damn Bears...


Buy more books

Rick

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

My thoughts exactly. Actually, I gave up on them at halftime, but then watched it later Mon morning. Damn Bears, Uncle Tom.